Sea levels rising in parts of Indian Ocean
London: Humans-induced greenhouse gases are increasing sea levels in parts of the Indian Ocean, say experts.
The climate change is amplifying regional sea rise changes in Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea, Sri Lanka, Sumatra and Java.
The rise could threaten lives in Bangladesh and India, causing massive floods in monsoons.
An enormous area of the tropical oceans stretching from the east coast of Africa west to the International Date Line in the Pacific has heated by about 1 degree Fahrenheit, or 0.5 degrees Celsius, in the past 50 years, said CU-Boulder Associate Professor Weiqing Han, lead study author.
The study also indicates that the Seychelles Islands and Zanzibar off Tanzania’s coastline show the largest sea level drop.
"Our new results show that human-caused changes of atmospheric and oceanic circulation over the Indian Ocean region are the major cause for the regional variability of sea level change," wrote the authors.
The eastern tropical regions of the Indian Ocean might witness an increase in rainfall while the western equatorial Indian Ocean region, an increase in drought.
"It is important for us to understand the regional changes of the sea level, which will have effects on coastal and island regions," said Hu.
The find is published in Nature Geoscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof