Sea levels will rise by 60 cm by 2100
London: Sea levels will rise by 60 cm by the end of the century and by another 180 cm over the next four centuries, submerging many low-lying and coastal areas worldwide, researchers have said.
Researchers from the University of Copenhagen and others arrived at these figures based on rates of emission from greenhouse gases and pollution using climate models, the journal Global and Planetary Change reports.
"Based on the current situation, we have projected changes in sea level 500 years into the future," explains Aslak Grinsted, researcher at the Centre for Ice and Climate, University of Copenhagen.
Cutting edge advances and strong international cooperation to stop emission of greenhouse gases would not reverse the rise of the sea, according to a statement from the university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf