Sensors to find why honeybees are vanishing
Sydney: Alarmed at the dwindling bee population around the world, scientists have found a novel way to find out what’s really causing their colonies to collapse.
A team of researchers in Australia is inserting sensors in thousands of honeybees in Hobart, Tasmania.
Each sensor contains radio frequency identification technology.
“Every time the bee passes certain checkpoints, its presence would get logged and the data would then be sent to a central research location,” according to a press release issued by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Australia`s national science agency.
As many as 5,000 tiny sensors are being placed on honeybees, said Paulo de Souza, a scientist in charge of micro-sensor technologies and systems at CSIRO.
“Their goal is to visualise how bees move in the environment and what’s causing bee colonies to shrink,” said researchers from University of Tasmania.
“This is a non-destructive process and the sensors appear to have no impact on the bee’s ability to fly and carry out its normal duties,” Paulo de Souza said.
Colony collapse disorder is a known problem affecting bees around the world.
Next on the scientists` agenda is to try fitting little cameras as `backpack` on bees - or even smart phones!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing