Separate lion reserve proposed in Bhavnagar district of Gujarat
Vadodara: A separate lion conservation reserve has been proposed by forest authorities in Bhavnagar district of Gujarat after over 50 big cats were spotted in the area.
Dr Sandeep Kumar, Deputy Conservator of Forest, Sasan-Gir, said the proposal was submitted to the state government recently.
He said that as many as 53 lions were spotted in the area, which prompted the move.
The main Lion sanctuary in the region is Gir National Park, but this area is isolated from it.
"At present, lions are distributed over Gir National Park and Pania sanctuary and other six satellite lion populations which are connected to the core population with corridors," Kumar told PTI over phone.
Of the satellite lion populations, he said, Shetrunji river area in Bhavnagar is about 65 km away from the nearest boundary of Gir sanctuary, and not directly connected with the core population.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!