Set to meet 2020 carbon emissions target: US
Washington: The US is on the way to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions and by 2020 it will reduce it by 17 percent from what it was in 2005, a government report said.
The average US greenhouse gas emissions from 2009-11 fell to the lowest level for any three-year period since 1994-96, Xinhua cited from a 2014 US Climate Action Report prepared by the State Department.
The total emissions are projected to be 4.6 percent lower than 2005 levels, given implementation of programs and measures in place as of September 2012, and current economic projections, the report said.
"The United States has already made significant progress, including doubling generation of electricity from wind and solar power and establishing historic new fuel economy standards," the report said.
In June, President Barack Obama announced a series of executive actions to reduce carbon pollution, pledging to limit carbon emissions from the power sector and enhance action on energy efficiency and clean energy technologies.
"Through the President`s Climate Action Plan, the US will take a multi-faceted, multi-sector approach to find opportunities across the economy to enhance efficiency and reduce harmful pollution," said the report.
According to the report, the total emissions rose by 8 percent from 1990 till 2011, but saw a significant decline between 2005-11, due to a combination of factors, including the economic downturn and fuel switching from coal to natural gas.
In 2009, Obama pledged that the US would cut emissions by 17 percent by 2020 from the 2005 levels, or 4 percent below 1990 levels, which is used by most countries as a base year. The announcement drew criticism from the developing world, which says the US has the money and technology to do more to combat climate change.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof