Sex-addicted Bonobo apes on brink of extinction
London: Bonobo apes, which live in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in central Africa and often have sex every few minutes, are now staring extinction in the face.
As they have quite low fertility, are hunted for their meat and their babies are stolen as pets, their numbers are today perilously low.
“We know that the number of animals is diminishing in dramatic proportions,” Sky News quoted Evelyne Peteolot, from Lola Ya Bonobos Sanctuary near Kinshasa, as saying.
“However we don’t have accurate data, so we’re unable to give exact numbers. It is so difficult with all the political problems here to be able to carry out a proper census,” she said.
Bonobos are the closes species to humans, and before the years of brutal civil war in the DRC it was estimated they were around 100,000 in number. Now it is feared there are around 5,000.
“It’s a species that will disappear unfortunately because this animal only exists (in the wild) here in the Democratic Republic of Congo,” said Peteolot.
“If there are no longer any left here, they will no longer be found anywhere. So they will become extinct, which is a real shame,” she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know