Shifting lions from Gujarat: MP govt seeks Rs 7 cr from Centre
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh government has sought over Rs 7 crore from the Centre to shift Asiatic lions from Gujarat to its Palpur Kuno Sanctuary under Sheopur district of Gwalior division.
The move came following a Supreme Court judgement on April 15 which held that the species was under threat of extinction and needed a second home.
"... The Supreme Court has passed final orders on the shifting of Asiatic lions from Gujarat to Madhya Pradesh directing the Ministry of Environment and Forests to take urgent steps for their reintroduction," former Madhya Pradesh Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) P K Shukla has said in a letter to Enviroment Ministry (MoEF).
"The Hon`ble Court has set a time limit of six months from the date of issuance of court`s order for reintroduction of lions.
"As the time limit is brief for such a huge task, we were eagerly expecting directions from MoEF regarding the course of action, but we have not received any directions from the central government so far," he said.
The copy of the letter, which was written on May 16, was accessed by wildlife activist Ajay Dubey via RTI.
The letter also mentioned details of annual plan expenditure of operations to carry out impending works for reintroduction of lion and had sought central assistance.
Shukla had sought grant of Rs 737.42 lakh for various works, including transportation of animals, strengthening of protection infrastructure and habitat development among others at the sanctuary, located about 300 kms from here.
Dubey said, "Four months have already passed and not much is being done on the shifting of lions. We will write to MoEF in this regard as well as to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to shift lions as early as possible."
The wildlife activist had earlier filed a PIL demanding ban on tourism inside tiger reserves across the country and restructuring of government policies in this regard, which was granted by the apex court.
Currently, there are around 400 Asiatic lions in Gujarat`s Gir sanctuary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months