Simple steps can cut down greenhouse gas emissions
New York: Basic steps taken by people daily can go a long way in cutting down greenhouse gas emissions, says a new study.
Minimising energy waste is a good place to start, said Thomas Dietz, professor of sociology and environmental science at Michigan State University (MSU).
For instance, activities like routine vehicle maintenance and opting for the clothesline instead of the dryer could cut total US carbon emissions by five percent in just five years and 7.4 percent in 10 years, Dietz said.
That`s the equivalent of France`s total carbon output, or total emissions by the US petroleum refining, steel and aluminium industries.
Household energy consumption accounts for 38 percent of carbon emissions in the US and eight percent of world emissions, he said.
"On the research end of things, we`ve invested mostly in engineering approaches -- building better technology," said Dietz.
"But the best technology we can devise doesn`t do any good if people don`t use it. We can make great progress with the technologies we already have if we pay attention to behaviour -- how people use the technologies they already have."
Dietz and collaborators didn`t base their estimates on a best-case consumer behaviour scenario.
Instead, they used the best available information to calculate how many families could reasonably be expected to take such measures if they were provided information, offered financial assistance and could interact with others doing so, an MSU release said.
They excluded potential emission cuts from emerging technologies and from wholesale lifestyle changes, so their estimates are at the low end of potential greenhouse gas reductions, Dietz said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends