Simple steps can cut down greenhouse gas emissions
New York: Basic steps taken by people daily can go a long way in cutting down greenhouse gas emissions, says a new study.
Minimising energy waste is a good place to start, said Thomas Dietz, professor of sociology and environmental science at Michigan State University (MSU).
For instance, activities like routine vehicle maintenance and opting for the clothesline instead of the dryer could cut total US carbon emissions by five percent in just five years and 7.4 percent in 10 years, Dietz said.
That`s the equivalent of France`s total carbon output, or total emissions by the US petroleum refining, steel and aluminium industries.
Household energy consumption accounts for 38 percent of carbon emissions in the US and eight percent of world emissions, he said.
"On the research end of things, we`ve invested mostly in engineering approaches -- building better technology," said Dietz.
"But the best technology we can devise doesn`t do any good if people don`t use it. We can make great progress with the technologies we already have if we pay attention to behaviour -- how people use the technologies they already have."
Dietz and collaborators didn`t base their estimates on a best-case consumer behaviour scenario.
Instead, they used the best available information to calculate how many families could reasonably be expected to take such measures if they were provided information, offered financial assistance and could interact with others doing so, an MSU release said.
They excluded potential emission cuts from emerging technologies and from wholesale lifestyle changes, so their estimates are at the low end of potential greenhouse gas reductions, Dietz said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video