Six whales die on Brazil beach
Brasilia: Six whales died after they beached themselves in the northeastern Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Norte, officials said Monday.
The whales were among a group of about 30 marine mammals that got stranded Sunday on Upanema beach, located about 330 km from Natal, the capital of Rio Grande do Norte. But despite fishermen immediately setting up an improvised rescue operation, all except six of them made it back out to sea.
Personnel from a whale research institute at the University of Rio Grande do Norte and police officers also assisted in the rescue effort.
Six of the whales died on the beach despite the best efforts of rescuers, police said.
The marine mammals were young pilot whales, University of Rio Grande do Norte researchers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!