Six whales die on Brazil beach
Brasilia: Six whales died after they beached themselves in the northeastern Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Norte, officials said Monday.
The whales were among a group of about 30 marine mammals that got stranded Sunday on Upanema beach, located about 330 km from Natal, the capital of Rio Grande do Norte. But despite fishermen immediately setting up an improvised rescue operation, all except six of them made it back out to sea.
Personnel from a whale research institute at the University of Rio Grande do Norte and police officers also assisted in the rescue effort.
Six of the whales died on the beach despite the best efforts of rescuers, police said.
The marine mammals were young pilot whales, University of Rio Grande do Norte researchers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vidya Balan looks enchanting as Geeta Bali in 'Ekk Albela' poster! – View pic
- Mark Zuckerberg to connect with ISS astronauts via Facebook Live
- Top aide of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander surrenders in Kashmir
- Darshan Kumaar, Randeep Hooda and Vijender Singh showcase 'Jat power punch'! See pic
- Fifty years after his death, VD Savarkar trending on Twitter: Know why