SLRs to forest personnel to bolster security in Kaziranga Park
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today announced additional forces for the Kaziranga National Park and handed over SLRs to the personnel of Assam Forest Protection Force (AFPF)for protection of rhinos there.
The chief minister exuded confidence that reinforcement of forces armed with sophisticated weapons would further strengthen the security measures in all the 152 camps inside the Kaziranga National Park, home of the one-horn rhinoceros.
"The forest personnel with their sophisticated weapons will be able to match the firepower of poachers and help to protect the rhinos in their natural habitats," he said at a function here.
Of the 200 SLRs provided by the home department, 50 of them were today handed over to the AFPF and additional forces along with ammunition.
"We will plug all the loopholes to bring an end to poaching. I welcome all the organisations and NGOs to join hands with the government to protect our wildlife and their habitats," he said.
Gogoi also said that the government would bring out a White Paper on various measures taken towards conservation in KNP, including anti-poaching measures and action plan as demanded by the opposition Asom Gana Parishad.
"No other government has taken such a variety of measures as our government has leading to conservation success in Kaziranga National Park and bringing Manas National Park back from the brink of collapse," he said.
"The number of rhinos, elephants and other wildlife has
gone up in comparison to other parts of the country for the concerted efforts of forest officials and guards over the years," Gogoi said.
"The increase in the number of elephants has in a way led to man-elephant conflicts", he said.
Minister for Environment and Forests Rakibul Hussain said deployment of forest battalion and additional forces armed with the new sophisticated arsenal would further intensify security inside the Park.
Hussain also said that 100 additional security personnel had already been deployed in the KNP in the past two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi