Smart City Kochi goes green, replants trees
Kochi: More than 100 trees, including teak, were successfully replanted Thursday after being removed from a spot where the first IT tower of Kerala`s Smart City Kochi is coming up, an official said.
The trees, with girth size of less than 50 centimetres, were relocated to facilitate the construction of a 6.50 lakh square feet building, the official said.
"Though the transplantation process is expensive and complicated, we understand the importance of preserving nature," said Baju George, managing director, Smart City Kochi.
Smart City Kochi is part of a special economic zone (SEZ) on a 250-acre plot and a joint venture between Smart City Dubai and the Kerala government.
The preliminary construction work has started and the SEZ is expected to be ready in 18 months.
Abdullatif Al Mulla, CEO of Smart City Dubai, said they follow global practices for environmental conservation and utilisation of green.
"We aim to develop the land by giving special care to the existing natural flora and fauna," said Al Mulla, adding that they will plant 10 saplings for each tree cut.
The state`s social forestry department has conducted a detailed survey on the trees and segregated the varieties for transplantation.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why