Solar cell material can generate electricity, emit light too
Singapore: In a major breakthrough, scientists have developed a low-cost solar cell material which can also emit light, in addition to converting light to electricity.
This solar cell is developed from Perovskite, a promising material that could hold the key to creating high-efficiency, inexpensive solar cells.
The new cells not only glow when electricity passes through them, but they can also be customised to emit different colours.
“What we have discovered is that because it is a high quality material, and very durable under light exposure, it can capture light particles and convert them to electricity, or vice versa,” said Tze Chien Sum, assistant professor at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore.
“By tuning the composition of the material, we can make it emit a wide range of colours, which also makes it suitable as a light emitting device, such as flat screen displays,” he said.
With this discovery, days are not far ahead when a shopping mall facade could be storing solar energy in the day and transforms into a light display for advertisements that glows at night.
The material was discovered almost by chance when professor Sum asked his postdoctoral researcher Xing Guichuan to shine a laser on the new hybrid Perovskite solar cell material they are developing.
This is a significant finding as most solar cell materials are good at absorbing light but are generally not expected to generate light.
It is five times cheaper than current Silicon-based solar cells, the study said.
“Such a versatile yet low-cost material would be a boon for green buildings,” said Nripan Mathews, assistant professor at NTU.
The study appeared in the journal Nature Materials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends