Solar driven water scheme inaugurated in U`khand
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar today unveiled a solar driven drinking water scheme in Tehri district and described it as the first of its kind project in the hill state to provide safe potable water to rural Himalayan villages using solar energy.
The scheme is directly benefiting and serving 40 households in Churendhar village of Tehri district.
Implemented with the water up after filtration to a vertical height of 186 meters, the scheme covers a distance of 70 meters using solar energy.
The offline solar grids have been established in the village which provide maximum 3,750 watts of energy to pump the water at such a height.
The Chief Secretary said use of renewable and clean energy to deal with the problem of inadequate availability of safe drinking water in high altitude rural areas has set an example for others to follow.
"It will not only motivate other villagers and civil society organisations to implement such a scheme but is a major step towards finding a sustainable solution to paucity of safe drinking water in rural areas of Uttarakhand hills," he said.
Villagers present at the inauguration ceremony said the scheme has solved their problem of drinking water.
"Now our womenfolk will not have to walk for kilometers to fetch water and incidents of water borne diseases will also decrease, especially among children," said one of the villagers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof