Solar powered aircraft to land in India
New Delhi: The world`s first solar powered aircraft, Solar Impulse, capable of flying day and night is all set to land in India about a year from now, the aircraft`s manufacturer said.
"Solar Impulse will land in India in April 2015 and will be the first ever day and night abled solar powered aircraft to do so," Solar Impulse CEO Andre Borschberg said here Wednesday.
He said it is for the first time in history that an airplane has succeeded in flying day and night, powered by nothing but solar energy.
The aircraft is powered by 12,000 solar cells and flies in the dark by reaching high altitudes during the day and gliding downward over long distances at night. It uses no fossil fuels.
"The light solar plane flies at around 70 km per hour and is especially sensitive to air turbulence," Borschberg told IANS.
"Solar Impulse that weighs 2,740 kg is an attempt to push the envelope as far as research and innovation are concerned in areas such as renewable energy and materials research. It is also a powerful educational tool, encouraging young minds to unleash their imagination," Borschberg added.
The city where the aircraft will make its first stop in India is yet to be decided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why