`Sorghum capable of mitigating global warming impact`
New Delhi: Scientists have found that
sorghum varieties are capable of mitigating impact of global
warming by regulating the emission of greenhouse gases in the
"Sorghum can play a vital role in mitigating the impact
of global warming by regulating the emission of greenhouse
gases like nitrous oxide, Carbon Dioxide and Methane," said J
V Patil, Head of Directorate of Sorghum Research (DSR),
In Sorghum, the brown mid-rib varieties (bmr mutants)
have lower lignin, and higher digestibility fits into the
system of climate smart agriculture, he added.
DSR is an arm of research body Indian Agricultural
Research Council (ICAR).
In rice-fallows of coastal Andhra Pradesh, sorghum is
fast gaining popularity due to its high productivity (6.0
tonne per hectare).
Sorghum is a widely row spaced (45 cm), medium duration
crop (90-120 days) and versatile for growing intercrops for
better use of natural resources.
Scientists at DSR also found that Sorghum is one of the
cheapest sources of micro nutrients (Fe and Zn) and with
roughage and slow release of carbohydrates it is preferred
food for diabetes and obese population.
Sorghum is an important dryland crop grown for food, feed
and fodder/forage in our country. It is having drought and
heat tolerance and performs well even under low input and
management conditions that are common with the dry land
Seventy percent of sorghum grain produced is used as food
and the rest for feed industry and other industrial uses
(potable alcohol, starch, malt etc. from grain).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video