`Sorghum capable of mitigating global warming impact`
New Delhi: Scientists have found that
sorghum varieties are capable of mitigating impact of global
warming by regulating the emission of greenhouse gases in the
"Sorghum can play a vital role in mitigating the impact
of global warming by regulating the emission of greenhouse
gases like nitrous oxide, Carbon Dioxide and Methane," said J
V Patil, Head of Directorate of Sorghum Research (DSR),
In Sorghum, the brown mid-rib varieties (bmr mutants)
have lower lignin, and higher digestibility fits into the
system of climate smart agriculture, he added.
DSR is an arm of research body Indian Agricultural
Research Council (ICAR).
In rice-fallows of coastal Andhra Pradesh, sorghum is
fast gaining popularity due to its high productivity (6.0
tonne per hectare).
Sorghum is a widely row spaced (45 cm), medium duration
crop (90-120 days) and versatile for growing intercrops for
better use of natural resources.
Scientists at DSR also found that Sorghum is one of the
cheapest sources of micro nutrients (Fe and Zn) and with
roughage and slow release of carbohydrates it is preferred
food for diabetes and obese population.
Sorghum is an important dryland crop grown for food, feed
and fodder/forage in our country. It is having drought and
heat tolerance and performs well even under low input and
management conditions that are common with the dry land
Seventy percent of sorghum grain produced is used as food
and the rest for feed industry and other industrial uses
(potable alcohol, starch, malt etc. from grain).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA