South East Asian countries agree to ban open burning
Singapore: A ministerial meeting on haze
pollution in South East Asia has agreed to ban all open
burning in the region in anticipation of the El Nino hot
weather conditions exacerbating in the last quarter of the
The Sub-Regional Ministerial Steering Committee on
Trans-boundary Haze Pollution, which met here yesterday, also
agreed to suspend permits for prescribed burning activities in
fire-prone areas such as in Indonesia and Malaysia.
Singapore`s Environment and Water Resources Minister, Dr
Yaacob Ibrahim, told a media conference after the meeting that
the committee was concerned after the Association of South
East Asian Nations (ASEAN) Specialised Meteorological Centre
reported that the prevailing weak El Nino condition was
forecast to intensify to a moderate to strong one by the end
of this year.
Warning that El Nino phenomenon was likely to worsen and
will prolong the current dry spell in the region till October,
Ibrahim said the committee hoped that there would be continued
increase in hotspot activities in fire-prone areas of Sumatra
and Kalimantan in Indonesia and Sarawak in Malaysian island of
Borneo over the next few months.
The committee noted that this was likely to lead to more
trans-boundary smoke haze pollution in the region, he said.
In a separate statement, the committee said the region
has experienced a sharp increase in the number of hotspots up
to last Saturday, as compared with the same period in 2006
when the region last experienced severe smoke haze pollution.
The ministers noted that while there had been sporadic
incidences of air quality reaching unhealthy levels, the
situation was still under control because of mitigation
actions taken by the countries involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM