Southern Ocean iron cycle provides new insight into climate change
Washington: Researchers have found that deep winter mixing, a seasonal process which carries colder and deeper, nutrient-rich water to the surface, plays very crucial role in transporting iron to the surface.
They said that the iron is then able to stimulate phytoplankton growth which supports the ocean`s carbon cycle and the aquatic food chain
Researchers were also able to determine that following the winter iron surge, a recycling process is necessary to support biological activity during the spring and summer seasons.
Oceanographer, Dr Alessandro Tagliabue, from the University`s School of Environmental Sciences, said that they combined all available iron data, matched them with physical data from autonomous profiling floats and used the latest satellite estimates of biological iron demand to explore how iron is supplied to the phytoplankton in the Southern Ocean.
He said that they found unique aspects to the iron cycle and how it is supplied by physical processes, making it distinct to other nutrients.
Tagliabue said that this means that the Southern Ocean`s nutrient supply would be affected by changes to the climate system (such as winds and freshwater input) differently to other areas of the ocean.
Researchers have long known the region is crucial in the uptake of atmospheric CO2 and that biological processes in the Southern Ocean influence the global ocean system via northward flowing currents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi