Sparrows disappearing from Assam
Golaghat (Assam): Sparrows are disappearing from many parts of the country, and specially in Assam where electro-magnetic radiation from communication towers, use of leaded petrol in vehicles and overuse of pesticides in agriculture have been cited as some causes by scientists.
Chief scientist of the Regional Agriculture Research Centre in Lakhimpur, Prabal Saikia, said, "It is a fact that sparrows are becoming scarce throughout Assam - both house and tree sparrows."
saikia said his research on house sparrows conducted in guwahati and lakhimpur, dhemaji, sonitpur, jorhat tinsukia districts found that they had been sighted greater number the dikhowmukh area of upper assam along banks brahmaputra its tributaries dikhow mitong.
"comparatively less pollution, large thatched huts general awareness about environment protection are responsible for concentration at dikhowmukh," pointed out.
environmental activist hiren dutta conservation organisation "nature`s beckon", while conducting a survey dikhowmukh, group set up colony verandah krisnasiga village.
Dutta has noted that in five nests eight couples of sparrows have been living happily despite the fact that there is a mobile tower in the vicinity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Check Biharboard.bih.nic.in & Biharboard.ac.in for BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12th XII Intermediate Arts Result 2016 to be announced today - just an hour to go
- When Rajiv Gandhi explained features of a new Indian Navy ship to his parents-in-law
- Congolese's murder: VK Singh deputed to allay African envoys' concerns
- Kolkata civic body orders testing of bread samples
- Two journalists asked to leave army event as they didn't stand up during national anthem