Speeding vehicle kills leopard in Bengal
Kolkata: A young female leopard was killed by a speeding vehicle near a national park in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district Tuesday, a forest official said.
"A young female leopard was found dead on a road near the Gorumara National Park. It appears to be a road-kill. A post mortem is being conducted and it seems she was hit by a vehicle which was moving way above the stipulated speed of below 40 km," Divisional Forest Officer (Jalpaiguri) Sumita Ghatak said.
Ghatak said the police have been asked to identify and apprehend the vehicle.
The incident comes days after the carcasses of two rhinos, suspected to be killed by poachers, were discovered in Jaldapara National Park.
The Jaldapara Park is the second largest habitat of the one-horned rhinoceros in the country after Kaziranga National Park in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Pakistan to keep border crossing with Afghanistan shut till apology
- Sheena Bora murder case: Court asks CBI to begin arguments on framing of charges
- 21kg tumor removed from 61-year-old man at Gurgaon hospital
- `Very difficult` for Bastian Schweinsteiger to play at Manchester United: Jose Mourinho
- Europa League draw: Manchester United set for Robin van Persie reunion