Speeding vehicle kills leopard in Bengal
Kolkata: A young female leopard was killed by a speeding vehicle near a national park in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district Tuesday, a forest official said.
"A young female leopard was found dead on a road near the Gorumara National Park. It appears to be a road-kill. A post mortem is being conducted and it seems she was hit by a vehicle which was moving way above the stipulated speed of below 40 km," Divisional Forest Officer (Jalpaiguri) Sumita Ghatak said.
Ghatak said the police have been asked to identify and apprehend the vehicle.
The incident comes days after the carcasses of two rhinos, suspected to be killed by poachers, were discovered in Jaldapara National Park.
The Jaldapara Park is the second largest habitat of the one-horned rhinoceros in the country after Kaziranga National Park in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!