Speeding vehicle kills leopard in Bengal
Kolkata: A young female leopard was killed by a speeding vehicle near a national park in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district Tuesday, a forest official said.
"A young female leopard was found dead on a road near the Gorumara National Park. It appears to be a road-kill. A post mortem is being conducted and it seems she was hit by a vehicle which was moving way above the stipulated speed of below 40 km," Divisional Forest Officer (Jalpaiguri) Sumita Ghatak said.
Ghatak said the police have been asked to identify and apprehend the vehicle.
The incident comes days after the carcasses of two rhinos, suspected to be killed by poachers, were discovered in Jaldapara National Park.
The Jaldapara Park is the second largest habitat of the one-horned rhinoceros in the country after Kaziranga National Park in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- A carnival of contrasting views near Cleveland''s Republican convention
- PML-N sweeps assembly polls in Pakistan occupied Kashmir
- PokéDates is here! Now, find love while catching Pokemon
- Quit TV as I couldn't do saas-bahu shows: Surveen Chawla
- Know who influences Shah Rukh Khan’s life – Details inside