Speeding vehicle kills leopard in Bengal
Kolkata: A young female leopard was killed by a speeding vehicle near a national park in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district Tuesday, a forest official said.
"A young female leopard was found dead on a road near the Gorumara National Park. It appears to be a road-kill. A post mortem is being conducted and it seems she was hit by a vehicle which was moving way above the stipulated speed of below 40 km," Divisional Forest Officer (Jalpaiguri) Sumita Ghatak said.
Ghatak said the police have been asked to identify and apprehend the vehicle.
The incident comes days after the carcasses of two rhinos, suspected to be killed by poachers, were discovered in Jaldapara National Park.
The Jaldapara Park is the second largest habitat of the one-horned rhinoceros in the country after Kaziranga National Park in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok