Squirrels show softer side by adopting orphaned pups
Toronto: The squirrels you often see fighting over scraps may not seem altruistic, but they have a softer side too -- seen occasionally when they adopt orphaned kin.
The study by Andrew McAdam, professor at Guelph University, along with researchers
from the University of Alberta and McGill University, revealed that red squirrels will adopt pups that have lost their mother.
It`s a significant finding because while such adoptions are typical among species that
live in extended family groups, it`s much less common among asocial animals, such as
"Social animals, including lions and chimpanzees, are often surrounded by relatives, so it`s not surprising that a female would adopt an orphaned family member because they
have already spent a lot of time together," said McAdam, an evolutionary biologist.
"But red squirrels live in complete isolation and are very territorial. The only time they will allow another squirrel on their territory is the one day a year when the females are ready to mate or when they are nursing their pups."
But the study also found that squirrels have their altruistic limits. They will adopt only if the orphans are related, and even then it`s a rare occurrence. Over two decades, the research team has come across only five cases of adoption.
"That`s five cases out of the thousands of litters that have been born since the project began," said McAdam. "Adoption does happen, but it`s rare."
Jamie Gorrell, doctoral candidate at the University of Alberta, identified 34 cases of
potential adoption over 20 years. An adoption is possible only if the mother dies and a nearby squirrel is also nursing.
"We discovered relatedness plays a critical role in whether a neighbouring squirrel will adopt or not," said McAdam.
In all adoption scenarios, the pups were nieces, nephews, siblings or grandchildren to
the adoptive mother.
By examining the breeding records of thousands of squirrels over the past 20 years,
McAdam was able to calculate the costs of adoption.
"What we found was that squirrels will only adopt an orphaned pup when the costs of
adoption are low and when the orphans carry a large percentage of the same genes
such as siblings, nieces or nephews rather than more distant relatives," said McAdam.
What`s also remarkable is that squirrels are able to assess which pups are related or
not, he added, according to a Guelph University release.
"We suspect that, if they find pups on the territory, they remember that their neighbour was a relative and carry the pups back to their nest. This would be quite intelligent behaviour for a squirrel," concluded McAdam.
These findings were published in Nature Communications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared