Steps to convert Big Lake into sanctuary
Ramanathapuram: Steps would be taken to convert
3000 hectares Periya Kammai (Big lake) into a bird
sanctuary with increase in arrival of migratory birds like
cranes, flemingos and pelicans and the start of their breeding
season, a top wildlife official said Friday.
"The birds have chosen the lake in view of the good rains
last season. It is unusual to see migratory birds in such
large numbers in this lake. The birds can also be seen in
Chittirangudi, Kanchirankulam, Keelaselvanur and Melaselvanur
lakes, wildlife Warden Sundarakumar said
He said efforts were being taken to protect the migratory
birds and that hunters had been warned against shooting any
Velmaran, PWD assistant engineer, said four watch towers
will be erected around the lake to monitor the birds. The lake
was being restored at a cost of Rs 9.73 crore, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption