Stone Age home discovered in Britain
London: Archaeologists have unearthed what is believed to be the ruins of one of Britain’s oldest homes during construction work in a field north-west of Edinburgh.
The remains, which are thought to be more than 10,000 years old, were found during archaeological excavation works in preparation for building the Forth Replacement Crossing, a new bridge across the Firth of Forth, the Independent reported.
The remains of the house include a large oval pit, nearly seven metres in length, a handful of holes, and more than 1,000 flint artefacts, thought to be from old tools and arrowheads.
It has been dated to the Mesolithic period, around 10,252 years ago.
“The radiocarbon dates that have been taken from this site show it to be the oldest of its type found in Scotland,” the Independent quoted Rod McCullagh, a senior archaeologist at Historic Scotland, as saying.
Several internal fireplace hearths, and large quantities of charred hazelnut shells were also identified, suggesting whoever lived there roasted the nuts for food.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India