Stranded wild elephant translocated to forests
Guwahati: A wild elephant stranded in a human-dominated area for over two months was successfully translocated to the forests in a two-day rescue operation in Assam`s Nagaon district.
The elephant, separated from its herd, had taken shelter for over 70 days in and around Kaki Reserve Forest and caused damage to property and crops and even death of a farmer, said Rajen Choudhury, Divisional Forest Officer of Nagaon South Division.
It was captured, translocated in a truck and released about 50 km away in Lumding Reserve Forest, he said.
The elephant is about 10-12 years old and about 7 feet tall at shoulder height.
The rescue operation was carried out from August 23.
"This is really one of the toughest rescue operations we ever conducted, not just because of the size of the animal but also because of the weather," a member of the rescue team said.
"A white cotton rope has been tied around the animal`s left hind leg for identification. The animal was sighted today in Dhansiri Reserve Forest in Karbi Anglong," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title