Studies on Ocean to throw light on climate changes
Panaji: Researchers are banking on studies in Indian sector of the Southern Ocean to analyse the climatic changes in Indian Peninsula, a scientist has said.
"There is major exchange of heat and salt between the Indian Ocean and the Southern Ocean. Hence, the Southern Ocean has a vital role in the climatic changes occurring in Indian Peninsula," N Anil Kumar, Coordinator (Southern Ocean Expedition), National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research (NCAOR), said.
The Goa-based NCAOR is readying for its sixth expedition, with participation from a dozen leading research institutions in the country, to the Indian Ocean sector of the
Southern Ocean to understand its complexity. The 45-day-long expedition will be held between January and March.
Anil Kumar said the Indian Ocean is peculiar because its northern part is land-locked and this may influence the exchange between Indian Ocean and Southern Ocean. "Very few studies are available in the Indian sector of Southern Ocean."
The series of expeditions to this part of the globe began with a pilot project by NCAOR in January-March 2004.
The senior scientist said investigations are in progress to understand carbon cycle in the sector. "Intensive and long-term studies are required to understand processes
that are involved in carbon generation and utilisation so as to arrive at net carbon availability in the system."
He said the polar regions have been identified as the areas where signatures of global changes are more pronounced.
"Improved understanding of the links between SouthernOcean processes, global climate, bio-geochemical cycles and marine productivity will be critical for society to respond
effectively to the challenges of climate change, sea level rise, ocean acidification and the sustainable use of marine resources," Anilkumar stated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan