Studies on Ocean to throw light on climate changes
Panaji: Researchers are banking on studies in Indian sector of the Southern Ocean to analyse the climatic changes in Indian Peninsula, a scientist has said.
"There is major exchange of heat and salt between the Indian Ocean and the Southern Ocean. Hence, the Southern Ocean has a vital role in the climatic changes occurring in Indian Peninsula," N Anil Kumar, Coordinator (Southern Ocean Expedition), National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research (NCAOR), said.
The Goa-based NCAOR is readying for its sixth expedition, with participation from a dozen leading research institutions in the country, to the Indian Ocean sector of the
Southern Ocean to understand its complexity. The 45-day-long expedition will be held between January and March.
Anil Kumar said the Indian Ocean is peculiar because its northern part is land-locked and this may influence the exchange between Indian Ocean and Southern Ocean. "Very few studies are available in the Indian sector of Southern Ocean."
The series of expeditions to this part of the globe began with a pilot project by NCAOR in January-March 2004.
The senior scientist said investigations are in progress to understand carbon cycle in the sector. "Intensive and long-term studies are required to understand processes
that are involved in carbon generation and utilisation so as to arrive at net carbon availability in the system."
He said the polar regions have been identified as the areas where signatures of global changes are more pronounced.
"Improved understanding of the links between SouthernOcean processes, global climate, bio-geochemical cycles and marine productivity will be critical for society to respond
effectively to the challenges of climate change, sea level rise, ocean acidification and the sustainable use of marine resources," Anilkumar stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says