‘Substitute building materials can limit environmental damage’
New Delhi: Research should be directed at expeditiously developing alternative building material as heightened construction activities were taking a toll on the environment through "unprecedented sand mining from river beds", adviser to the Prime Minister, TKA Nair said Thursday.
"The demand for construction material, particularly river bank sand, has gone up. Rivers are dying.
"Sand mining has taken place at an unprecedented level in the recent years, contributing substantially to ecological damage," Nair said at the 10th World Plumbing Conference here.
"If river sand is not available, there should be research and development for substitutes.
Banning something is very easy and one can hope that somebody will enforce it, but there is a huge scope for R&D in this sector," Nair added.
Talking about norms and regulations which are often violated in construction activity, Nair said that although codes are properly framed, their implementation was not effective.
"There should be a consultative process to evolve mechanisms which are missing today. The industry should take systematic efforts to make the codes applicable," he said.
The two-day conference, with a theme of `Environment, Health and Hygiene and the role of Plumbing Industry`, is being attended by nearly 600 professionals from across the world.
Organised by the Indian Plumbing Association (IPA), the conference will feature in-depth deliberations on improving the overall regulatory and administrative norms for the Indian plumbing industry.
It will draw up recommendations for regulatory and administrative changes in plumbing sector norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Watch: Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' teaser trailer will leave you wanting more
- It's out! Kangana, Shahid and Saif Ali Khan's 'Rangoon' release date set!
- Indian Premier League 9, Qualifier 1: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Lions - As it happened...
- Angelina Jolie to teach masters course at London School of Economics!
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in