Sunday Times apologises for disputing Amazon rainforest claim
London: Reputed UK newspaper The Sunday Times has apologised for dubbing as “unsubstantiated” the claim by green campaigners that nearly 40 per cent of the Amazon rainforest faces risk from climate change.
In an article published in January this year, The Sunday Times had disputed the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) claim that upto 40% of the Amazon rainforest could be sensitive to future changes in rainfall, saying it was “unsubstantiated”.
However, the paper has now said that the claims made in the 2007 report of the IPCC, referenced to a report prepared for the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) by Andrew Rowell and Peter Moore, were in fact supported by peer-reviewed scientific evidence.
The WWF report `Global Review of Forest Fires` in 2000 warned 40 per cent of the Amazon was `extremely sensitive` to small reductions in the amount of rainfall. The claim was made based on evidence from the Amazon Environmental Research Institute (IPAM), which was not referenced as such in the report.
The Sunday Times apology added: "We also understand and accept that Mr Rowell is an experienced environmental journalist and that Dr Moore is an expert in forest management, and apologise for any suggestion to the contrary."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what