Sunderbans embankments facing threat of collapse
Kolkata: With embankments of most rivers in Sunderbans facing threat of collapse due to rise in the level of the sea, a `Save Sunderbans` campaign will be launched in the world`s largest mangrove forest next month.
Nearly 3,500-km-long embankments in the Sunderbans face the threat of breakdown as the rising water level has put pressure on the dykes in many areas, West Bengal Sunderbans Development Affairs Minister Kanti Ganguly said.
Some of the embankments were repaired after being damaged by the Cyclone Aila last year, but the threat of the burgeoning sea level posed a grave threat to them, he said.
"It is a question of survival for the people of Sunderbans and we have to protect the embankments with our own efforts," Ganguly said.
He said that a `Save Sunderbans` campaign would be launched from May 11 to 14 from Sagar Island to Gosaba in the delta where all people irrespective of political leanings
would be welcome.
Ganguly said the people of the Sunderbans would put their own labour to raise the height of the embankments.
"We have been clamouring for declaring the problem as a national problem, but to no effect so far," he said.
"Every high tide is considered dangerous for the dykes which have already turned weak in the last seven to eight months," the minister said.
The Centre, he said, had assured a sum of Rs 5,000 crore for protection of the banks after Cyclone Aila devastated the villages, but, it "failed" to keep its word.
"Now we have to protect the embankments with our own efforts," he said.
The monsoon is still one and a half months away and it is time the banks were strengthened and their height increased.
Lahirypur and Satjelia gram panchayats in the Gosaba police station area are particularly exposed to the danger of total inundation, the minister pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster