Sunderbans embankments facing threat of collapse
Kolkata: With embankments of most rivers in Sunderbans facing threat of collapse due to rise in the level of the sea, a `Save Sunderbans` campaign will be launched in the world`s largest mangrove forest next month.
Nearly 3,500-km-long embankments in the Sunderbans face the threat of breakdown as the rising water level has put pressure on the dykes in many areas, West Bengal Sunderbans Development Affairs Minister Kanti Ganguly said.
Some of the embankments were repaired after being damaged by the Cyclone Aila last year, but the threat of the burgeoning sea level posed a grave threat to them, he said.
"It is a question of survival for the people of Sunderbans and we have to protect the embankments with our own efforts," Ganguly said.
He said that a `Save Sunderbans` campaign would be launched from May 11 to 14 from Sagar Island to Gosaba in the delta where all people irrespective of political leanings
would be welcome.
Ganguly said the people of the Sunderbans would put their own labour to raise the height of the embankments.
"We have been clamouring for declaring the problem as a national problem, but to no effect so far," he said.
"Every high tide is considered dangerous for the dykes which have already turned weak in the last seven to eight months," the minister said.
The Centre, he said, had assured a sum of Rs 5,000 crore for protection of the banks after Cyclone Aila devastated the villages, but, it "failed" to keep its word.
"Now we have to protect the embankments with our own efforts," he said.
The monsoon is still one and a half months away and it is time the banks were strengthened and their height increased.
Lahirypur and Satjelia gram panchayats in the Gosaba police station area are particularly exposed to the danger of total inundation, the minister pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal