`Sustainable development only way to India`s future goals`
Agra: Solar Energy Commission of India president Anil Kakodkar has cautioned the people against recklessly destroying natural resources without considering future needs and sustainability of the ecosystem.
Sustainable development was the only way to the future goals of India, he said, speaking at a seminar on Consumption Levels, Environmental Conservation and Sustainable Settlements organised here Sunday at Dayalbagh deemed University by an NGO, SPEEHA.
Toxic gases were being released, the soil composition was disturbed leading to abrupt climatic changes, and uncontrolled and thoughtless use of technology to the extreme could prove disastrous in the long run, Kakodkar said.
Use of wood was leading to deforestation and disturbing the balance which could only be restored by judicious use of resources. Alternative sources of energy and hydro-energy held hope for the future, he added.
Dr R.K. Malhotra, director, Research and Development, Indian Oil Corporation, said, "The stress in future should be on CNG, LPG, bio-diesel."
The seminar was addressed by experts in energy, environment and sustainable development.
The consensus was that in future eco-friendly settlements, self-sustaining village networks, recycling and re-use of waste materials should be accorded top priority in the agenda of development, said NGO official Pradeep Sehgal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report