Sweden`s only coral faces risk of extinction
Stockholm: Sweden`s only remaining cold-water coral reef, the Sacken reef in the Koster Fjord, may become extinct, warn scientists.
Alarmed by the possibility, University of Gothenburg researchers have started a restoration project where healthy corals from nearby reefs in Norway are being removed and placed on the Sacken reef.
Coral reefs are known for their rich biological diversity.
In Sweden, only one reef-building coral species exists, a cold-water coral called Lophelia pertusa, according to a Gothenburg statement.
"We`ve known since the mid-1920s that cold-water coral reefs exists here in Sweden," said marine biologist and researcher Mikael Dahl from Gothenburg.
"At that time, corals could be found in three locations in the Koster Fjord. Today, only the Sacken reef remains, and it`s in poor condition."
Some of the causes to this are the impact of trawling and increased sedimentation. Continuous observations with remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) show that the health of the reef slowly continues to decline.
"The red list assessment is currently in the `under immediate threat` category. The Sacken reef has been protected against trawling for more than a decade, but trawling damage have been observed on the reef several times after the legislation was set in place," said Dahl, who led the study.
Three years ago, the protection of the reef was further strengthened when Sweden`s first national marine park, the Kosterhavet National Park, was created.
However, the Sacken reef remains in poor condition.
The genetic diversity on the Sacken reef is also much lower than observed in any other reef of this type.
"This means that it is highly unlikely that the Sacken reef will recover naturally. Instead, interventions are needed in order to ensure the survival of the reef," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!