Sydney`s urban areas to face sharp rise in night temperature: Study
Sydney: A recent study on global warming reveals that green spaces, trees and water bodies are essential for future development in Sydney`s suburbs.
The researchers from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science found new urban developments in Sydney were prone to the greatest temperature increases up to 3.7 degree C by 2050.
The reasons cited in the report by the researchers are global warming combined with Sydney`s urban heat island effect.
Dr Daniel Argueso, lead author from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science, said that increased temperatures have serious health implications related to heat stress accumulation.
Argueso further added that the higher energy consumption needed to power air conditioning overnight may lead to higher power bills.
The report stated that the urban surfaces hinder evaporation and its cooling effect. This accumulated heat is released during the night, which is why night time temperatures increase even more than daytime temperatures.
The mechanisms that cause warmer nights in Sydney are applicable to any city with similar characteristics and can be solved in similar ways.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'