Tamil Nadu to act against plastic waste soon
Chennai: In a bid to create a clean environment in the state, the Tamil Nadu government would soon take steps to clean up plastic waste strewn in public places and tourist hubs.
"The Tamil Nadu government would soon take steps to completely do away with the heaps of plastic waste in many public places and tourist hubs in the state. After consulting with the Chief Minister, further action towards this will be taken," Environment Minister B V Ramanaa said here.
He was addressing the World Environment Day function organised by the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board.
He said plastic bottles took from 900 to 1,200 years to decompose in soil.
Meanwhile, the US Consulate General here organised a World Environment Day walk at the Marina Beach.
Flagging off the Environment Day function, US Consul General Jennifer McIntyre said, a green economy involved green labour, green jobs, green industries, green markets, green households and green practices by each and every one.
The theme for this year’s World Environment Day is “Green Economy: Does it include you”?
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand