Ten proposals for establishment of zoos in country
New Delhi: The Environment Ministry has received ten proposals for the establishment of new wildlife or zoological parks in the country.
In response to a question in Lok Sabha, Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan gave details as per which five of the new proposals came from the state of Uttar Pradesh and another four from Maharashtra.
Madhya Pradesh was the third state which had proposed a Zoo and Rescue centre at Mukundpur in Satna district.
The UP government has proposed a Night Safari in Greater Noida, a lions safari in Etawah, zoo at Ramgarh Tal besides zoos at Agra and Moradabad.
Among the proposals that came from Maharashtra government were a leopard rescue centre at Ahmednagar, panther safari at Roha in Raigad district, rescue centre at Gorewada in Nagpur and Gorewada Zoo in Nagpur.
In answer to another question, Natarajan said that there was a proposal to make amendments in the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
These amendments envisage incorporation of the provisions of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of wild flora and fauna for enhancing the penalties for violation of any provisions of the Act, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley