Ten scientists, including Venky, among Padma awardees
New Delhi: Indian born Nobel laureate
Venkatraman Ramakrishnan was on Monday named for Padma Vibhushan, country`s second highest civilian honour announced on the eve of the 60th Republic Day.
Besides Ramakrishnan, three scientists got the Padma
Bhushan and six the Padma Shri.
Noted nuclear scientist Bikash Chandra Sinha, former
Director of the Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata and
US-based Arogyaswami Joseph Paulraj, who made significant
contribution to the science of wireless communication were
chosen for the Padma Bhushan awards.
Delhi-based mathematician Jagdish Chandra Kapur was the
other Padma Bhushan awardee.
Prof. Palpu Pushpangadan, plant scientist and former
Director of National Botanical Research Institute was among
the six scientists who were awarded the Padma Shri.
V P Dimri, Director of the National Geophysical Research
Institute, Vijaylakshmi Ravindranath, former Director,
National Brain Research Institute and Pucadyil Ittoop John, a
senior scientist holding the Meghnad Saha Chair at the
Institute of Plasma Research were also awarded Padma Shri.
"I am surprised and delighted," Dimri said to a news agency when
informed about his selection for the award. Similar was the
reaction of John, who is currently working on the ITER
project, that aims to produce electricity using nuclear
US-based Ponisseril Somasundaran and Karnataka-based M R
Satyanarayana Rao were the other Padma Shri awardees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!