Ten scientists, including Venky, among Padma awardees
New Delhi: Indian born Nobel laureate
Venkatraman Ramakrishnan was on Monday named for Padma Vibhushan, country`s second highest civilian honour announced on the eve of the 60th Republic Day.
Besides Ramakrishnan, three scientists got the Padma
Bhushan and six the Padma Shri.
Noted nuclear scientist Bikash Chandra Sinha, former
Director of the Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata and
US-based Arogyaswami Joseph Paulraj, who made significant
contribution to the science of wireless communication were
chosen for the Padma Bhushan awards.
Delhi-based mathematician Jagdish Chandra Kapur was the
other Padma Bhushan awardee.
Prof. Palpu Pushpangadan, plant scientist and former
Director of National Botanical Research Institute was among
the six scientists who were awarded the Padma Shri.
V P Dimri, Director of the National Geophysical Research
Institute, Vijaylakshmi Ravindranath, former Director,
National Brain Research Institute and Pucadyil Ittoop John, a
senior scientist holding the Meghnad Saha Chair at the
Institute of Plasma Research were also awarded Padma Shri.
"I am surprised and delighted," Dimri said to a news agency when
informed about his selection for the award. Similar was the
reaction of John, who is currently working on the ITER
project, that aims to produce electricity using nuclear
US-based Ponisseril Somasundaran and Karnataka-based M R
Satyanarayana Rao were the other Padma Shri awardees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed