New Delhi: Earth Day is an anual event, celebrated on April 22. It is the perfect day to celebrate our planet and start caring for it. Every year, more than one billion people across the globe take part in the event to show support for environmental protection.
But, What is earth Day? Why is it important to celebrate Earth Day? And how is it observed globally? Here are some information about the event that takes place on April 22 each year:
- Earth Day is celebrated every year on April 22 an an annual event. It aims to encourage people across the world to be more environmentally friendly.
- The first Earth Day was celebrated on April 22, 1970.
- Earth Day originated in the US but became recognized worldwide by 1990.
- 20 million people participated in the first ever Earth Day in 1970
- Every year on April 22, men, women, and children collect garbage, plant trees, clean up coral reefs, show movies, sign petitions, and plan for a better future for our planet.
- On Earth Day 2009, Disney released a documentary film called Earth that followed the migration paths of four animal families.
- Gaylord Nelson founded Earth Day while he was working as a US senator.
- Earth Day was renamed officially by the UN in 2009 as International Mother Earth Day.
- On Earth Day 2012, more than 100,000 people rode bikes in China to reduce CO2 emissions and save fuel.
- 100 endangered species of orchids were planted in Panama to prevent their extinction in honor of Earth Day.