Termites become `suicidal terrorists` as they grow older
Washington: Old termites carry poison “backpacks” that can kill their enemies, but they also die in the fight, like suicidal terrorists, a new research has revealed.
According to Discovery News, the study was conducted by Jan Sobotnik of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic and colleagues and published in the latest issue of Science.
They studied neotropical termites of the species Neocapritermes taracua. The researchers found that many of the worker termites had blue spots where the insects’ thorax and abdomen met.
The size of the spots varied, and some workers didn’t have them at all. These pretty blue spots turned out to hold deadly poison. The poison consists of paired up copper-containing protein crystals. The crystals are activated when they come into contact with termite saliva.
When an attacking termite makes the unfortunate mistake of biting into one of these poison-toting termites, the poison spurts out, killing the carrier, the attacker and possibly others nearby.
“Because workers perform a variety of tasks, this readiness for suicidal defense would be expected to increase as their aptitude for other tasks declines,” the scientists suspected.
Their suspicion turned out to be correct. They discovered that as worker termites grew older and their mouthparts became duller, the weight of the crystals in their “backpacks” increased. While the senior termites’ feeding efficiency declined, the insects built up their armory for suicidal fighting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA