The dark side of spring – melting snow releases toxins
Washington: Spring is finally in the air, but it has a dark side too — melting snow releasing toxins, according to a Canadian researcher.
"During the winter months, contaminants accumulate in the snow. When the snow melts, these chemicals are released into the environment at high concentrations, said University of Toronto Scarborough environmental chemist Torsten Meyer. In a specially designed lab, and armed with a homemade snow-gun and a chemical pump, Meyer created large baths of fresh snow already tainted with organic contaminants.
This one-of-a-kind set-up enables him to slowly melt his ‘dirty’ snow, collect the melt-water and track which chemicals emerge from the snow pack and when.
He was able to track how the chemicals migrate into the environment.
"One of the main findings is that there is a peak contaminant flush at the very beginning of the melt," he said.
In other words, with the advent of spring comes a deluge of pollution.
By the time snow has turned black with muck and grime, many harmful chemicals, including those from pesticides, car exhaust, telecommunications wiring insulation, water repellent clothing, paints or coatings, may have already seeped out of the snow and into the surrounding ground water or surface water, said Meyer.
His findings have real-world implications, such as how municipalities choose their snow dumpsites.
Cities and towns should be very careful to select well-contained sites to protect against that early flush of pollutants, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt