Thousands clean Puerto Rico beaches, rivers
San Juan: Thousands of volunteers cleaned 200 beaches, rivers and lakes in Puerto Rico to celebrate International Coastal Cleanup Day Saturday.
Alberto Marti, executive director of the Scuba Dogs Society, said the goal this year was to collect more than 250,000 pounds (113,500 kg) of solid waste scattered around Puerto Rico.
Pablo Mendez Lazaro, professor of the Environmental Health Department at the University of Puerto Rico, said they would gather data about solid waste in estuaries, coastal areas, rivers and other bodies of water and see "how badly we are managing them".
"We don`t intend to pick up anybody`s trash so they can just go on littering. What we want is to create a database from what we observe that will help us understand how we are managing solid waste on the island," he said.
The Scuba Dogs Society, founded in 1993, said the effort would help beautify some of the more privileged places on the island, which will make Puerto Rico more of a tourist attraction and will in turn benefit the whole community.
During last year`s International Coastal Cleanup Day, around 600,000 volunteers from 100 countries took part in cleaning coastal areas around the world. They collected nine million pounds of garbage (more than 4,000 tonnes). Six out of every 10 pieces of trash were plastic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA