Thousands of birds make crash landing in US
St George (Utah): Thousands of migratory birds died on impact after apparently mistaking a Wal-Mart parking lot and other areas of southern Utah for bodies of water and plummeting to the ground in what one wildlife expert called the worst downing she`s ever seen.
Crews went to work cleaning up the dead birds and rescuing the survivors after the creatures crash-landed in the St George area Monday night.
By Wednesday evening, volunteers had rescued more than 2,000 birds, releasing them into nearby bodies of water.
"They`re just everywhere," said Teresa Griffin, wildlife program manager for the Utah Department of Wildlife Resource`s southern region.
"It`s been nonstop. All our employees are driving around picking them up, and we`ve got so many people coming to our office and dropping them off."
Officials say stormy conditions probably confused the flock of grebes, a duck-like aquatic bird likely making its way to Mexico for the winter.
The birds tried to land in a Cedar City Wal-Mart parking lot and elsewhere.
"The storm clouds over the top of the city lights made it look like a nice, flat body of water. All the conditions were right," Griffin told The Spectrum newspaper in St George.
"So the birds landed to rest, but ended up slamming into the pavement."
No human injuries or property damage have been reported. Griffin noted most downings are localised "but this was very widespread."
"I`ve been here 15 years and this was the worst downing I`ve seen," she told the newspaper.
Officials said they were continuing the rescue effort that started yesterday afternoon and included an enthusiastic group of volunteers.
The surviving grebes were released into bodies of water in southern Utah`s Washington County, including a pond near Hurricane.
"If we can put them on a body of water that`s not frozen over, they`ll have a better chance of survival," said Lynn Chamberlain, a wildlife department spokesman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why