Three endangered species of vultures spotted
Itanagar: Three endangered species of vultures have been spotted at the Daying Ering Wildlife Sanctuary in East Siang district by a team of researchers from the Rajiv Gandhi University.
The team of researchers including Daniel Mize, RGU Assistant Professor, and Junior Research fellow Rajat Chetry, who undertook research to assess vulture population status in Siang region, said they have come across several species of vulture out of which three endangered species, Gyps Bengalensis, Gyps Indicus and Gyps Tenuirostris were also recorded.
After toiling for three days, the team encountered a group of 49 vultures including Cinerous vulture, Lammergeier or bearded vulture, Himalayan Griffon, Eurasian griffon, long-billed vulture, Slendered-billed vulture and white-rumped vulture.
Cinerous vulture, bearded vulture and Eurasian griffon were seen for the first time in the sanctuary, the team informed.
"The site seems to harbour the last and drastically declining vulture population in Siang region because survey at other areas of Siang could trace any vulture," the team said.
"The sanctuary is perhaps the most suitable habitat left for vulture in the entire Siang region today. Therefore, efficient management of the Sanctuary is quite necessary to conserve and protect vulture surviving in the sanctuary to increase the vulture population," Mize added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre