Three endangered species of vultures spotted
Itanagar: Three endangered species of vultures have been spotted at the Daying Ering Wildlife Sanctuary in East Siang district by a team of researchers from the Rajiv Gandhi University.
The team of researchers including Daniel Mize, RGU Assistant Professor, and Junior Research fellow Rajat Chetry, who undertook research to assess vulture population status in Siang region, said they have come across several species of vulture out of which three endangered species, Gyps Bengalensis, Gyps Indicus and Gyps Tenuirostris were also recorded.
After toiling for three days, the team encountered a group of 49 vultures including Cinerous vulture, Lammergeier or bearded vulture, Himalayan Griffon, Eurasian griffon, long-billed vulture, Slendered-billed vulture and white-rumped vulture.
Cinerous vulture, bearded vulture and Eurasian griffon were seen for the first time in the sanctuary, the team informed.
"The site seems to harbour the last and drastically declining vulture population in Siang region because survey at other areas of Siang could trace any vulture," the team said.
"The sanctuary is perhaps the most suitable habitat left for vulture in the entire Siang region today. Therefore, efficient management of the Sanctuary is quite necessary to conserve and protect vulture surviving in the sanctuary to increase the vulture population," Mize added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'