Three new tiger cubs spotted at Ranthambore
Jaipur: Wildlife authorities in Rajasthan are elated following the sightings of three new tiger cubs in Ranthambore National Park, where the tiger population has now reached fifty-three.
Forest official said the tiger cubs were spotted in the park today. With these, the number of cubs has now reached 26. Besides the cubs, there are 27 full grown big cats, including 15 tigresses.
"The cubs were spotted today by nature guides. I also got information when I asked the forest officials who confirmed the good news," Rajasthan Forest Minister Bina Kak told PTI.
"It was T-17 tigress, named `Sundari`, who gave birth to the cubs. They appeared to be around one-and-a-half month old," she said.
Six-year-old Sundari was carrying a non-functional radio collar around her neck for nearly two years before Kak directed the officials to remove it in November last year.
"The instrument was useless but the tigress was carrying it...I asked officials to remove it. I also felt that the collar`s presence may have been the reason behind the tigress not mating. After removal of the collar, we were expecting something positive and the good news came today," she said.
"I am very delighted today. I am going to Karauli to review progress of a project providing safe corridor for tigers of Ranthambore.
The minister said the government has decided to develop the corridor so that it provides the big cats access to different sanctuaries.
"I will discuss all the issues related with the proposed corridor with officers. It is my priority and if there is any hurdle anywhere, the matter will be resolved as soon as possible," she added.
Due to increase in tiger population, the big cats usually stray out of their territories and go missing. Sometimes, they end up becoming victims of poaching, she said.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- This picture of an IAS officer has gone viral on social media - know why
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried
- These five super-foods will help you lose weight in the summer!
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict