Three new tiger cubs spotted at Ranthambore
Jaipur: Wildlife authorities in Rajasthan are elated following the sightings of three new tiger cubs in Ranthambore National Park, where the tiger population has now reached fifty-three.
Forest official said the tiger cubs were spotted in the park today. With these, the number of cubs has now reached 26. Besides the cubs, there are 27 full grown big cats, including 15 tigresses.
"The cubs were spotted today by nature guides. I also got information when I asked the forest officials who confirmed the good news," Rajasthan Forest Minister Bina Kak told PTI.
"It was T-17 tigress, named `Sundari`, who gave birth to the cubs. They appeared to be around one-and-a-half month old," she said.
Six-year-old Sundari was carrying a non-functional radio collar around her neck for nearly two years before Kak directed the officials to remove it in November last year.
"The instrument was useless but the tigress was carrying it...I asked officials to remove it. I also felt that the collar`s presence may have been the reason behind the tigress not mating. After removal of the collar, we were expecting something positive and the good news came today," she said.
"I am very delighted today. I am going to Karauli to review progress of a project providing safe corridor for tigers of Ranthambore.
The minister said the government has decided to develop the corridor so that it provides the big cats access to different sanctuaries.
"I will discuss all the issues related with the proposed corridor with officers. It is my priority and if there is any hurdle anywhere, the matter will be resolved as soon as possible," she added.
Due to increase in tiger population, the big cats usually stray out of their territories and go missing. Sometimes, they end up becoming victims of poaching, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic
- Will women be allowed to enter Haji Ali shrine? Bombay HC verdict today
- Check out the posters of Sunny Leone’s ‘Beiimaan Love’
- Central team to visit Kashmir to look into infiltration today