Tiger Census to be released on March 28: Ramesh
New Delhi: India`s `Tiger Census` will be released on March 28, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh announced today and hoped that the country will be able to
report that the big cat`s population is more than the existing figure of 1,411 after the results of the exercise are out.
"It is the most comprehensive census we have done so far and very systematically, involving a large number of people. We are releasing it on March 28," Ramesh said.
The census was carried out by installing cameras at strategic points, like water bodies in the forests, as also in the respective territories of the big cats and a computer
analysis was done to collate the data.
The 2007 census had shown a sharp fall in the number of tigers in `protected areas` -- reserves, national parks and wildlife sanctuaries -- in 19 states across the country.
According to it, India had only 1,411 wild cats left in its forests.
"I hope that on 28 we will be able to report that tiger population figure of 1,411 in India is infact more than 1,411," Ramesh told reporters on the sidelines of a function
However, he expressed concern over the threat to the forest eco-system from multitude of sources, a true representation of the tigers.
"Tiger is a representation of our forest eco-system is under severe threat from our eco-system which is under serious threat from variety of sources, severe threat from poachers,
hoteliers, hotels, from mining mafias, from political networks and from people who in made rush of inda becoming the next economic super power," he said.
Ramesh said the government`s endeavour would be to see tigers in the wild rather than in captivity.
"Over 50 per cent of 3500 tigers in the wild are in India and 17,000 are in captivity. We dont want to see tigers in captivity but in wild," he said.
Asked about the rising cases of man-animal conflict in the Corbett National Park, Ramesh expressed hope the Government will be able to solve the problem with the State
"I have given a detailed action plan for Corbett to to the Chief Minister. I hope he will take action on that," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'