Tiger count in Sundarbans between 64 and 90: Survey
New Delhi: Amid a dispute over Tiger count in Sundarbans, a fresh survey has found that the largest habitat of the Royal Bengal Tiger has a population between 64 and 90.
The 2004 census had claimed that the tiger population in Indian Sundarban was around 274 and the figure dropped to an estimated 70 in the 2010 census, prompting experts to cast doubts on its accuracy as they claimed that scientific methods were not used for the head count.
The figure was put at 90-odd by certain agencies involved in the census in the world`s largest mangrove forest six months ago but the new survey puts the tiger population between 64-90.
"Population estimation of the Sundarbans tigers was done with a combination of camera trapping and satellite telemetry. The total population for the Indian Sundarbans was estimated to be between 64 to 90 tigers," says the latest Environment Ministry document.
According to the new document, a tiger density of 4.3 tigers per 100 sqkm has been estimated at the Sundarbans Tiger Reserve and its surrounding areas.
The All India Tiger Estimation Exercise for 2010 had revealed that the tiger population in the country has risen to 1706 compared to 1411 in 2006.
The total area of the Sunderbans is 9630 sqkm out of which 4264 sqkm bears mangrove forest. The area of the Reserve is 2585 sqkm covering land area of 1600 sqkm and water body over 985 sqkm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof