Tiger population rising in KMT Reserve
Tirunelveli (TN): The tiger population has doubled in Kalakkad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve here compared to the number of wild cats found in the park four years ago.
As per the census carried out in February this year,
there were 13 tigers in the KMTR compared to six recorded in
2006. The census showed that there were 3 males, seven females
and three cubs at present.
There were also 62 panthers, 23 elephants, 100 migratory birds, 23 squirrels, 65 dotted deer, 69 bisons, 17 lion tailed macaques and 17 langurs in the reserve, KMTR Field Director and Chief Conservator of Forests H Mallesappa told reporters here yesterday.
This time forest department has used camera trap by deploying a total of 40 cameras throughout the KTMR, he said. The Centre has allocated Rs 1.94 crore this year for holistic development of KMTR, considered one of the delicate ecological bio-spheres in the Western Ghat range.
Utilising the fund, various measures, including setting up of anti-poaching squads, providing compensation to farmers for crop damage caused by wild animals in fringe areas of the reserve, had been taken up this year, he said.
Laying of proper roads and construction of bridges along this ecological bio-sphere, demarcating the protected reserve forests by powered fencing to prevent entry of wild animals into the farm lands were among other steps taken this year.The fund has been provided by the National Tiger Conservation Authority, he said.
KMTR is situated in the southern most tip of the Western Ghat range, spread across the intervening borders of Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari districts adjoining Kerala.
A trust had been formed in the name of Kalakkad-Mundanthurai Tigers Protection Organisation with its executive committee headed by Mallaesappa.
As continuous funding was required for implementing
the development measures, the trust has appealed to public and
industrialists to contribute to a corpus fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem