Tiger reserves alerted against possible poaching
New Delhi: With China gearing up to mark
2010 as Year of the Golden Tiger when the demand for the
animal parts and derivatives are expected to shoot up, forest
reserves which are home to the big cats in India have been put
on high alert against possible poaching.
According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2010 is the Year of a
Golden Tiger which begins on February 14 and ends on February
2, 2011. The Tiger is the third sign in the cycle of Chinese
Zodiac which consists of 12 animal signs.
There are apprehensions that this would fuel illegal
trade in the body parts of the animals in Indian forests to
meet the demand for Chinese traditional medicines which are
widely used for various purposes.
"As precautionary measures, a series of advisories
have been issued to tiger reserves across the country asking
the authorities to step up intelligence and keep a tab on
poachers and smugglers` activities," sources in the
Environment Ministry said.
The advisories have been issued by the Wildlife Crime
Control Bureau (WCCB), an intelligence wildlife agency.
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh has already
expressed concern, stating the new year posed a "threat
to tigers in India". In August last year, he had, during his
trip to China, asked the authorities for more help in cracking
down on the trade in tiger parts.
To counter the threat, India has announced a series of
steps to raise awareness and draw international attention to
save the endangered animal whose count stand at 1,400 in the
country`s 37 reserves as against total 3000 in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened