Tiger tourism ban to continue, for now
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to lift ban on tourism in core areas of tiger reserves, for now. The apex court said that it will wait for the new guidelines to be framed by the National Tiger Conservation, until which the ban on tourism would continue.
In an affidavit filed last month end the Central government had urged the apex court to lift the interim ban imposed on July 24 on all tourist activities in the core areas of areas of tiger reserves.
The court has fixed October 16 as the next date for hearing in the case.
The Centre in it affidavit had stated that a maximum of 20 percent of the core/ critical tiger habitat usage (not exceeding the present usage) may be permitted for regulated, low-impact tourist visitation. The guidelines said permanent tourist facilities located inside core/critical tiger habitats, which are being used for wildlife tourism should be phased out as per a time frame.
Among other measures, the guidelines said that visitors should be kept at a distance of at least 20 m from all forms of wildlife and luring/feeding any wildlife should be strictly prohibited.
Under the existing guidelines and rules of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972, the states have to notify the list of core and buffer areas of tiger reserves in their respective jurisdictions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon