Tipsy parrots nursing hangover
London: Dozens of parrots in Australia had to be hospitalised as they had got drunk. Now, vets are curing their hangover.
Sixty drunk birds were taken to an animal hospital.
The Sun said some of them were in such a state that it would take days for them to sober up.
The red-collared lorikeets get intoxicated by pecking at fermented nectar produced by a species of tree.
The tree is common in gardens in Australia`s Northern Territory as it produces ornamental red flowers.
"People find the parrots huddled in a corner or at the bottom of one of the trees.
"Mostly they just look sick - a sad bundle of feathers hiding from the world," vet Stephen Cutter, who is in Darwin, was quoted as saying.
"They tend to be depressed, can`t fly and have difficulty climbing or balancing on perches," the vet added.
Incidentally, there is hardly any difference between the cure for humans and parrots. They too recover after food, rest and rehydration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez