TN tribals oppose formation of Tiger Reserve
Erode: More than 4000 tribals staged a demonstration before the bus stand in the town, opposing the government`s proposal to form a Tiger Reserve project in Sathyamangalam forest area.
Bhavanisagar MLA Mr L. Sundaram led the demonstration.
The Tamil Nadu Government had decided to start the Tiger Reserve project over 1,40,924 hectares of forest land in Sathyamangalam forest.
The tribals living in the forest area opposed it but were assured by Forest Minister K T Pachamal during a recent visited the forest area assured the tribal people that none would be evicted from the area when the Project is started.
However the tribals still harbour fears and so went ahead with their demonstration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees