Tourism ban in tiger reserves: MP CM seeks Centre`s help
New Delhi: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today met Union Environment and Forest Minister Jayanthi Natarajan and sought her intervention to cope up with the fallout of a recent Supreme Court directive banning tourism in core areas of tiger reserves across the country.
During the meeting, the Chief Minister urged her to intervene in the matter saying the apex court verdict would affect livelihoods of thousands of persons dwelling in and around the forest covers.
Chouhan said that livelihood protection of local inhabitants is as important as wildlife conservation.
He said that tourist activities in forests reserves and wildlife sanctuaries will not affect wildlife and forests.
The CM of the BJP ruled state said people residing in 108 of the total 831 villages, which come under forest cover areas, are ready to shift to some other place.
He also requested the Central Government to provide appropriate funds for resettling villagers at the earliest.
Hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by Bhopal-based conservationist Ajay Dubey, the Supreme Court on July 24 held that there shall be no tourism activity in any of the core zones of tiger reserves.
Madhya Pradesh has the highest of six tiger reserves -- Panna, Kanha, Bandhavgarh, Satpuda, Pench and Sanjay.
Chouhan also urged the Union Minister to give early clearance to power and irrigation related projects awaiting clearance from the Centre.
The Chief Minister is in the national capital to participate in an industrialists meet tomorrow especially organised by the State Government to seek investment in Madhya Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...