Tree Ambulance service launched to protect green cover
New Delhi: In a unique initiative, a
`Tree Ambulance` was launched on Friday to provide protection to
green reserves in the capital.
"The Tree Ambulance is a unique initiative of the New
Delhi Municipal Corporation to provide care to rich green
reserves of the national capital," Chief Minister Sheila
Equipped with water tanks of 5.5 thousand litres capacity
and equipment like chain saw, tree pruner, sprayer, ladder,
water pumps and others, the `ambulance` will cater to the
emergency needs of lakhs of trees in the NDMC area.
She also mooted an idea for utilising JNNURM funds to
launch more such services in the city.
"Around 10,000 of these are avenue trees which are not
only the capital`s natural heritage, but also serve as
important environmental and ecological reserves," said Suhas
Borker, an activist of The Green Circle which has helped the
NDMC in the initiative.
Regular management, including trimming and removal of
decayed branches, will be carried out to ensure healthy life
for these trees by the NDMC and Green Circle.
"Over fifty people are being trained in Dehradun-based
Forest Research Institute to make the initiative a success,"
Borker said, adding they have also written to Urban
Development Minister to replicate the step in other cities and
The NDMC has total 1,250-acre green area which includes
six major gardens, five nurseries, 53 round-abouts, 122 small
parks and 981 CPWD colonies parks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof