Tree Ambulance service launched to protect green cover
New Delhi: In a unique initiative, a
`Tree Ambulance` was launched on Friday to provide protection to
green reserves in the capital.
"The Tree Ambulance is a unique initiative of the New
Delhi Municipal Corporation to provide care to rich green
reserves of the national capital," Chief Minister Sheila
Equipped with water tanks of 5.5 thousand litres capacity
and equipment like chain saw, tree pruner, sprayer, ladder,
water pumps and others, the `ambulance` will cater to the
emergency needs of lakhs of trees in the NDMC area.
She also mooted an idea for utilising JNNURM funds to
launch more such services in the city.
"Around 10,000 of these are avenue trees which are not
only the capital`s natural heritage, but also serve as
important environmental and ecological reserves," said Suhas
Borker, an activist of The Green Circle which has helped the
NDMC in the initiative.
Regular management, including trimming and removal of
decayed branches, will be carried out to ensure healthy life
for these trees by the NDMC and Green Circle.
"Over fifty people are being trained in Dehradun-based
Forest Research Institute to make the initiative a success,"
Borker said, adding they have also written to Urban
Development Minister to replicate the step in other cities and
The NDMC has total 1,250-acre green area which includes
six major gardens, five nurseries, 53 round-abouts, 122 small
parks and 981 CPWD colonies parks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday