Turtles can act like chameleons to deceive predators and prey alike
Washington: In a new research, scientists have determined that turtles can act like chameleons, by matching the color of their skin and shells to the color of their habitat’s substrate, which helps them to deceive predators and prey alike.
According to a report in Natural History Magazine, the research was carried out by John W. Rowe, of Alma College in Michigan, US, and his three colleagues.
They collected gravid female midland painted turtles and red-eared sliders from the wild, brought them to the lab, and injected them with oxytocin, a hormone that induces egg laying.
They assigned the hatchlings to two control groups, which they kept for 160 days on either a white or a black substrate, and to two “reversal” groups, which they kept for 80 days on white or black and then switched to a substrate of the opposite color for another 80 days.
The researchers periodically used a spectrometer to measure the color intensity of spots on each turtle’s carapace and head.
By day 80, all the turtles had lightened or darkened, approaching the color of the substrates they were living on.
By day 160, the controls were staying the course, but both reversal groups had switched and were now well on their way to the color intensity of their new substrate, confirming that turtles can completely reverse melanization.
That puts freshwater turtles in the same league as chameleons and squid, even if their melanization process is, true to form, much slower.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says